Deepening Hospitality: Uncovering Hidden Assumptions About Race
2/21, 3/6, 3/20, 9 am. Upstairs in the Sitting Room.
With rich conversation and helpful resources, we will explore together the how ideas of race and “otherness,” reinforce the Way of Fear at work within us and between us, and keep us from the depth of hospitality we long for.
And we will focus on the light of God with us, that again and again illumines the truth and sets us free to be with and for each other.
- "Why White Privilege Isn't Going Away: A Theological Reflection", by Marc Boswell - discussed on 3/6, and will be basis for future discussions.
- "Why is it so difficult to talk about Racism?" by Nancy J. Ramsay. Handout from 2/21.
- My road trip through the whitest towns in America, TED talk by Rich Benjamin.
- "How White People got Made", Handout from 3/6.
- White Riots vs. Black Protests, video clip from 3/6.
- Racism is Real, video clip from 3/6.
- American Denial: A Preview. Shown 3/6, film to be shown 3/20.
- An American Dilemma, longer preview for American Denial film to be shown 3/20.
- Black Man vs. White Man, open carry in public. Video clip mentioned on 3/6.
- Want to read or watch more? Here is a great list of additional resources: Curriculum for White Americans to Educate themselves on Race and Racism.